History of Chamberlayne Baptist Church
Early in the 1950’s, residents of Chamberlayne Heights and Chamberlayne Farms communities felt the need for a local Baptist fellowship. With the assistance and support of Northside Baptist and Hatcher Memorial Baptist churches, as well as the Richmond Baptist Association, they saw their dreams become a reality. Regular prayer meetings were held in the homes of residents. In 1953, land was purchased on Wilkinson Road as a site for a permanent building. During the week of August 17-21, the first Vacation Bible School and evening services were held under a tent loaned by the Richmond Baptist Association.
As the membership grew, plans were made to construct a chapel. The first unit of the chapel was started in October 1953 and the first service was held in the new chapel on December 25, 1953. On January 2, 1955, Chamberlayne Baptist Chapel of Northside and Hatcher Memorial Baptist Churches became Chamberlayne Baptist Church. On February 18, 1955, the Richmond Baptist Association adopted a recommendation of its Admission Committee and welcomed Chamberlayne Baptist Church into its fellowship.
As membership and community needs continued to grow, it became obvious that larger facilities were needed. Accordingly, in September 1958, a Sunday school building was completed, and in 1964 the present Sanctuary was dedicated. The old chapel was later demolished which paved the way for the Chamberlayne Christian Life Center on that site in 1977. A nursery wing was added to the Education Building in 1994. The membership continues to grow as community and worldwide needs are met.